Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Brittany!

Thanks everyone for the great advice on my new hair. As of now I'm not really messing with it because it is still a little short, but I am excited to try out some new styles! I think there may be a consensus for me to spike my hair. So we shall see, it will be fun.

And talking about fun, yesterday was my sister Brittany's 22nd birthday! To celebrate her big day we went skiing at Big Bear Mountain Resort. I must admit I was a little nervous at first to get back on my skis after all of my cancer treatments, but everything went great. I made sure I didn't push my body too hard, but I did get to enjoy the runs. Sure I'm a little out of shape, but I lasted for a majority of the day! It is so exciting to now be able to skii, because just a few weeks ago I could have never been able to do that. Skiing and being active in general, like walking Riley on a daily basis, are good reminders for me that I am getting better and soon I will be back to my regular self- cancer free!
This was my first time skiing at Big Bear and also my first time back on my skis in a really long time, so I kept it simple. I kept to the easy trails, but still had a blast. Nothing beats having the wind in your face, sliding down a big mountain on two sticks! It actually was exhilarating at times and made me feel victorious over my cancer. A feeling of: "Look at me now cancer, you can't keep me down." What a great way to celebrate my sisters birthday!
On a separate note, tomorrow I am meeting with my cancer doctor for a check-up and radiation treatment review. This appointment will be my first time meeting with my cancer doctor since I completed my radiation treatments in January. I don't think I will be getting a PET/CT scan tomorrow, but there are some questions I want to go over with the doctor. One of them being: if I need to take certain vitamins? Also which side effects from my cancer treatments will be permanent? Am I at a greater risk for developing cancer again? How often will I need to come back for check-ups?
I'll make sure to tell everyone what I find out. Wish me good luck. Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad leaving Westwood, our appointment is at 3pm!!
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment