Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dentist Approval

Before I can start radiation, my doctor wanted me to meet with a Dentist. So yesterday I met with a dentist at UCLA to review my teeth. The appointment took THREE HOURS, but I'm happy to say everything looks good with my teeth. I guess since I will be receiving radiation through my mouth and jaw, it is important to first make sure no dental work is needed before the radiation begins. The dentist says my teeth look strong and healthy, but once I begin the radiation it will be imperative that I keep up my good dental hygiene.

The dentist says there are some side effects from the radiation that I will have to keep in mind for the rest of my life. The first side effect is the increase risk of osteo radio necrosis (ORN). ORN is a problem with bone healing that can occur in people who receive high doses of radiation, especially to the jaw. If the jaw bone is exposed, it can have a hard time healing itself and can become infected. This complication can occur after dental surgery or teeth extraction. The dentist says often times when someone has ORN their jaw bone is removed and a different bone is used to replace the jaw bone. This sounds like a terribly painful condition and I hope I never have to deal with it! The dentist says my best defense is to make sure all of my future dentists know ahead of time that I am a patient with an increase risk of ORN.

Another side effect from the radiation will be damage to my salivary gland. My teeth will be at an increase risk of developing cavities because I will not have enough saliva to protect them. I never knew this, but saliva is actually one of the best defenders when it comes to protecting our teeth from cavities. So of course I will have to make sure I brush and floss well; I guess no slacking off for me!! In addition, since I won't have as much saliva, I will also have a dry mouth. The dentist says the best thing I can do to help with the dry mouth is to always carry water around with me. The water will relieve some of the dry mouth and will help to keep away cavities.

Finally the other major consequence for my teeth from the radiation is it will take longer for my body to heal sores and cuts in my mouth. I'm sure you have noticed that each time you get a cut in your mouth it generally heals faster than that same cut if you had it somewhere else on your body. The dentist says our mouths can heal these types of cuts faster, but after the radiation my ability to heal mouth sores quickly will be gone. So I guess I will just have to find a way to be patient with those pesky, but very painful mouth sores once I begin my radiation treatment.

Also during the dentist appointment the dentist took xrays of my teeth, did teeth impressions, and gave me fluoride trays. The fluoride trays will help protect my teeth from cavities by providing an extra layer of protection. Every night now for the rest of my life I will have to wear these trays for five minutes right before going to bed. By keeping the fluoride on my teeth overnight, I'll be providing an extra layer of defense for my teeth. I guess just another step to add in my nightly bedtime routine!

Who would have ever thought cancer could have such a big impact on your teeth. I never would have thought the two would even be related. Just another learning experience in my fight against cancer.
Danielle

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, will your salivary gland be permanently damaged? I hope not, but there isnt much of an alternative than the radiation therapy. I never expected you to be talking about tooth problems as related to cancer. Hey maybe they can make a fluoride / whitener mixture. Your teeth will be forever super white!!!
    Have you heard about Proton Therapy, its a form of radiation treatment that uses beam of protons versus the normal x-ray radiation. I know its fairly new and I dont know what the status is for lymphoma. Maybe you can ask your doctor? I really hate to suggest anything new. But I know when I am sick, I ask a lot questions to my doctors. There is a proton program at Loma Linda.
    How is Riley doing?
    Remember LIVEstrong! You are doing amazing. And as you showed, you are the inspiration for many!
    -derek

    ReplyDelete