Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy Holidays

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season! I spent some great quality time with my family and friends over Christmas. I had radiation treatment on Christmas Eve, but was able to have Christmas Day off. It was really nice to have a break from the daily radiation treatments. I also received a great gift this holiday season- my hair is starting to GROW BACK! My last chemo treatment was on November 5th and now I have some peach fuzz on the top of my head. I wasn't sure when my hair was going to grow back, so I'm sure you can imagine my excitement, plus it is soo soft!

Also on Christmas Eve I did an interview with a marathon runner in training for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training. Sean Cook is training to run a marathon in Paris next year. Sean is traveling all across the country and is talking to people impacted by blood cancers. Sean and I talked about my fight with Lymphoma. I'll be putting our interview up on my blog in the coming days. Then after talking to people across the country Sean will be compiling all of his interviews for a documentary. You can check out Sean's progress at www.trainingacrossamerica.com

As far as my radiation treatments, it took a few days, but now I'm beginning to notice some of the side effects. For instance, I can feel my saliva become thicker and heavier. I thought there was a back-up of mucus in the back of my throat, making it hard to swallow, but the doctor told me today that my saliva is becoming thicker to compensate for my salivary gland. My throat is also very scratchy and I can tell I have dry mouth, so my doctor is really stressing to me that I need to make sure I keep hydrated. So I'm trying to listen to my doctor's advice and already today I've been drinking a lot more water and tea. I can already tell the water really helps with the dry mouth and makes it easier to swallow. Hopefully I can keep up the water intake.
Time to get some rest.
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. HELLO DANIELLE DUPUY. DAD GUM GUM AND MAN-O-MAN, YOU ARE CLOSING IN ON THE END OF ALL OF THIS AND WILL BE BACK IN SOUTH DAKOTA BEFORE YOU KNOW IT! IT IS GREAT THAT YOU ARE RECAPTURING THE TORTOISE AND YOUR HAIR! HANG IN THERE AND KEEP MIXING IN SOME FUN WITH THE DR. TRIPS! BEST WISHES FROM WYOMING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle that is great to hear you are doing so well. And the hair growth made me smile, especially when you said it was so soft. I remember my grandmother had her hair come back black after chemo, and she was in her 70's. She was so happy not to have grey hair. So just think in a year you will have you old long locks back! Its weird hearing how the saliva is thickening up. So keep hydrated too!!
    A Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete