Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Radiation Mask

Yesterday I had my CT stimulation appointment with my radiation team at UCLA. The CT scan is the first step in planning my radiation therapy treatment. When I first arrived for my appointment the radiation team created a mask for me to wear during my treatments. The mask will help me to maintain my position while laying down for my daily treatments, since even the slightest movement could result in big consequences. In order to make the mask the radiation team used a plastic mold. They put the plastic under hot water and then laid it over my face and chest. While the plastic was drying, it molded to my body's form.

As the plastic was drying the radiation team also performed a CT Scan (computed tomography). The scan will help the doctors plan my radiation therapy treatment by providing them with computer generated images of my mouth and head. Now all I have to do is wait for the doctor and nurses to plan my radiation therapy treatment. I guess the doctor told me this phase could take up to 1-2 weeks.

Once the treatment plan is complete, a verification simulation is performed on the treatment machine called a linear accelerator (LINAC). Using x-ray imaging, the radiation therapists will make sure the plan will be delivered accurately. My verification simulation is scheduled for Wednesday the 16th, bright and early at 8:30am!! Then my first treatment is scheduled for Thursday the 17th at 2:30pm, and for the next 20 business days my life will include daily trips to UCLA for my radiation therapy. At this point all I can do is keep a positive outlook, and I know I'm half way done in my fight against cancer.
Danielle

1 comment:

  1. Man Danielle - it's so crazy how much you have to go through to fight this! I'm so glad you're keeping positive like I know you, that's the way to do it! Keep at it, we miss you so much at KDLT!

    ReplyDelete