Monday, November 30, 2009

Chemo Delayed

Lately I have been feeling a lot better. I've been feeling more like myself and I'm not having as many headaches as I did before. I think the reason why I'm feeling better is because my chemotherapy treatment has been pushed back. I was suppose to have my last chemotherapy treatment on Thanksgiving, but because of the holiday, we moved it to the following week. So this is the longest I've ever been in between chemo treatments, which of course is not ideal, since I want to fight this cancer and be cured as soon as possible.

However, just today I heard back from my doctor at UCLA, and she says before we can schedule my next chemo treatment, she wants me to meet with a cardiologist. Last week I had another heart echo scan, and I guess the doctor found out the chemo drugs, in particular the Adriamycin, is having a greater negative effect on my heart than what we had thought. At this time she feels my heart is too weak to take another round of chemotherapy. So tomorrow morning I have an appointment to meet with a cardiologist in Santa Monica. I've never been to a cardiologist before, so I'm a little nervous. I guess the doctor wants me to wear workout clothes so they can test my heart while I'm on a treadmill. After I meet with the cardiologist, I'll talk with my oncology doctor to see if we can still continue the chemo treatments or if we need to come up with a new game plan.

I really hope everything goes well tomorrow because the thought of having a weak heart really scares me. Your heart is so important to your overall health that I'm afraid of having any damage from the chemotherapy drugs. Plus, on top of that I really was hoping not to have to delay any of my chemo treatments. The quicker I can fight this cancer, I thought the better. However, at the same time I'm really grateful that we did the heart echo to discover my heart was weaker because that would have been horrible to do the chemo and then later, hurt my heart even greater. It is just so hard when you are fighting cancer to find that fine line of what is hurting or helping your body. These powerful chemo drugs of course are killing the cancer, but at the same time they are destroying my body in so many different ways. I guess it goes back to the point that sometimes to get better you have to fight through those negative side effects. So in my case I just have to be careful to not hurt myself too much in the process.
Wish me good luck tomorrow!
Danielle

5 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle!

    You've got my good thoughts and prayers coming your way! Go get 'em!

    I miss seeing you! Will you be back in South Dakota before Christmas?

    J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for you girl! I hope all goes well and you find out good news! :)
    I have had many friends and family members that have faced similar situations with the chemo drugs. There are things that can help keep your body strong as well as helping to fight the cancer itself. I have learned so much through experiences of others! Let me know if I can help you! chelsea4mk@hotmail.com
    Stay strong and keep fighting! You're an amazing inspiration with your positive attitude and honesty about what you're dealing with! Keep it up! :D Hugs from South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Danielle,

    So sorry to hear about your illness! We will be praying for the Lord to provide some amazing blessings and wellness!

    Sincerely,
    Pastor Jeff
    Faith Temple Church
    Sioux Falls, SD

    ReplyDelete
  4. GEEZ DANIELLE DUPUY! I WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING I COULD DO TO HELP! I DO WISH YOU LUCK AND LOOK FORWARD TO A GOOD REPORT FROM THE CARDIOLOGIST.
    HANG IN THERE.....YOU HAVE LOTS OF PEOPLE CHEERING YOU ON!
    BEST WISHES FROM WYOMING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good vibes, positive thoughts, and many prayers being sent out for you!

    ReplyDelete