Friday, September 11, 2009

VIDEO: Look Good, Feel Better

This week my mom, sister and I went to a "Look Good, Feel Better" class at the Avera Cancer Institute. The class was informational and very fun. I couldn't believe all the wonderful make-up products that were donated for the class.

I can still remember the first time when my doctor told me I had cancer. There were two defining points in the conversation that brought me to uncontrollable tears. When he said I had cancer I didn't cry, I was more in shock and fear. It wasn't until he told me my ovaries could be damaged by the chemo and that I would lose my hair, did I break down into sobs.

I don't know what it is about having hair that is so important to me, but the thought of not having it really frightened me. My hair has always been such a huge part of who I am, and I guess I feel without it, I might lose a piece of me. So regardless to say, attending this class really helped me gain a positive outlook about when the time comes and I lose my hair. Del, the instructor of the class, did a great job explaining some of the wig, turbine, and scarf options available for women undergoing chemo.

I cannot express the amount of appreciation and respect I have toward this woman Del. I first met her the week I found out I had Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. We met up to discuss some wig options for me once I lost my hair. My mom and I were impressed by her help and knowledge of the hair lost process. She was so compassionate and kind, as I struggled to except the fact that my life was beginning to turn upside down. Then she shared with us her own battle with cancer, and I remember being blown away by her courage and strength. In the short time I have known Del she has been an inspiration to me and my family.

So in this clip I talk to Del about her favorite part of teaching the "Look Good, Feel Better" class.
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Wig is a must!

    The gal I work with got one... I didn't even notice she lost her hair it looked so real!

    Look at it this way, should cut the shower time down! Saving water like crazy

    ReplyDelete